Making the most of Special Drawing Rights: approaches to maximise impact and create sustainable and just recovery
To maximise the impacts of the upcoming allocation of US$650 billion Special Drawing Rights (SDRs), the IMF is working on proposals for countries with strong external positions to voluntarily channel their SDRs to vulnerable countries. How can the design of these mechanisms:
- Enable transfers on a grant or low-interest basis?
- Provide access to both low-and middle-income countries in need? Avoid onerous economic policy conditions?
- Support country-owned and accountable plans for pandemic response and inclusive and sustainable recovery?
The session will also assess need and viability of a new SDR allocation to meet outstanding Covid response and recovery needs.
- Patricia Miranda, LATINDADD
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, IMF
- Nadia Daar, Oxfam International
- Andres Arauz, Former Director General of Banking, Central Bank of Ecuador
|These events are being produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of these events are the sole responsibility of Eurodad and its partners and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the funders.|